Updated on May 13th, 2020
A common American meal which is based on meat may contain one vegetable or another side dish. Side dishes may be in the form of a salad or starch-based side dishes like bread, rice, potatoes or pasta.
- Zucchini (cut into bite size pieces) – 1.5 pounds
- Fresh corn – 1
- Sweet onion (diced) – 1/3 cup
- Fresh Tomato (diced) – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cold water – 1/4 cup
- Cheddar cheese or jack cheese (shredded) – 1 cup
- After washing and trimming both ends of zucchini, cut it into bite size pieces (cut zucchini down the middle in a cross pattern and then slice across).
- Combine zucchini and corn in a medium size saucepan that has a fitting lid. Add diced tomatoes, sweet onions and salt in the zucchini-corn mixture.
- Pour cold water over the mixture. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Stir the mixture gently to mix ingredients well and taste for salt.
- Cover the pan and lower heat to low. Cook for additional 5 to 7 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Turn off heat and remove the lid. Add cheese over the top, but don’t stir. Again cover with lid until cheese melts.
- Serve warm.
This dish can be used as a side dish with any meat-based main dish or can be eaten as a main dish if you are a vegetarian. This is an old family recipe. It is smothered zucchini, corn, tomatoes and onions in melted cheese, a great side dish.
summer recipes 2019, summer recipes dinner, favorite summer recipes, healthy summer recipes for dinner