Updated on May 13th, 2020
Worrying about Christmas healthy recipes for the day? If you are health conscious and do not like to put on extra pounds after the vacation, then go through our pick of 3 easy and delicious Christmas healthy recipes for you try. A first serve, a soup and a salad:
Roasted Chicken & Gravy
- minced large clove garlic, minced, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, giblets removed,1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil, 2 teaspoons butter, softened, divided, 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish.
- First heat oven up to 400°F.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste in a small bowl, you can use back of a spoon or anything. Then stir in pepper and thyme.
- Using a sharp knife, remove unnecessary fat from chicken. Dry out the inside with a paper towel. Then loosen the skin over the breasts and thighs to make pockets, being careful not to tear down the skin. Rub the garlic paste over the breast and thigh of the chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter and oil in medium heat. Add the chicken and cook till the chicken evenly browned on all sides, for at least 10 minutes.
- Then put the pan onto the oven and roast the chicken until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F, it will take 50 minutes to 1 hour fir a nicely done roast. Bring out the chicken and put it on clean board for cutting; tent with foil.
- Then, mash the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and flour in a small pan to make a paste. Place the pan and heat it medium-high. Take precaution, the pan will be hot. Then add broth and bring it to simmer, stir to scrape up any browned bits. Then whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time, so that the gravy thickens, for about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, so that any fat can rise to the top. Spoon away off the fat. Cut down the chicken and serve with the gravy. Go for garnish with parsley.
Roasted Pear-Butternut Soup with Crumbled Stilton
Roasted peers with butternut squash and pureed to create a nice creamy soup that gets a delicious garnish of Stilton cheese. Serve this along with first course or with a salad.
ripe pears, peeled and cored, 2 pounds of butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks, 2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered,1 large leek, pale green and white parts only, halved lengthwise, 2 cloves garlic, crushed, 2 tablespoon olive oil,1/2 teaspoon salt, , Freshly ground pepper for taste, 4 cups vegetable broth, 2/3 cup crumbled Stilton, tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Put together pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Then put them on a large rimmed baking sheet and spread them evenly on the sheet. Then roast, stir occasionally, do it until the vegetables are tender, 40 minute to 1 hour. Take away the baking sheet and let it cool a bit.
- Mix half the vegetables and 2 cups broth in a blender; puree until it becomes smooth. Then put the mix to a large saucepan. Puree the remaining vegetables and 2 cups broth. Move the mix altogether to the pan and put in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cook the soup over medium-low heat; stir until it becomes hot for10 minutes.
Massaged Kale Salad
Here is a garlicky flavored dressing which is infused into kale by massaging the greens and the dressing together for a healthy Christmas salad you can try.
2 bunches kale, 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese,1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 large cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 minced anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (whatever you like), 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt
Strip off leaves from the stems. Then wash and dry the leaves. Piece the leaves then place in a large bowl. Now add Parmesan, oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, anchovy (in case you using), pepper and salt. Wash your hand and firmly massage and crush the greens to build up flavoring. Do it until the volume of greens is reduced by about half. All the greens should look a little darker and to some extent shiny. Sample and adjust seasoning with more Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce and/or pepper if required.
Hope you find our Christmas healthy recipes useful. Stay healthy! Keep visiting for more recipes coming up. Happy Christmas