Updated on May 13th, 2020
Searching for cheap, healthy recipes for dinner? Cheap and healthy dinner does not necessarily be tasteless and boring. Cheap recipes can be delicious too. Here I present you a recipe for dinner that is Cheap, healthy and appetizing!
Broccoli, Beef & Potato Hotdish
Easy casserole, full of ground beef, roasted broccoli and topped with hash browns is all about this Broccoli, Beef & Potato hotdish. Roasting the broccoli before combining with casserole adds a bit complex and excitement to this diner; you can skip it if you want to go simple. Then do not roast the broccoli (Step 2) and use 6 cups frozen broccoli its place (reduce 1 tablespoon oil).
Ingredients (for 8 servings)
1 1/2 pounds broccoli (chopped into 1-inch florets, about 6 cups), 2 tablespoons canola oil (divided) , 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, 1 large onion (sliced), 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce , 1 teaspoon garlic powder , 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 4 cups low-fat milk, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (preferably orange flavored), 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, 4 cups frozen hash-brown or precooked shredded potatoes, 1 large egg, (beaten), 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, Canola or olive oil cooking spray, 1/4 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (hot)
- Heat up oven to 450°F.
- Throw broccoli in a large bowl add 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer it to a baking sheet and then roast, stir once halfway though, until broccoli became soft and browned in spots, for about 15 minutes.
- In between, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add beef and onion and cook, saturate the beef with a wooden spoon, do it till the beef is browned and the onion smoothed, it will take 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire, garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Keep it aside.
- Sweep milk and cornstarch in a large pan. Boil it over medium-high heat, often whisking is necessary. Do it till bubbling and thickened. Coat the back of a spoon. It will take 6 to 8 minutes total. Withdraw from the heat and then stir in Cheddar, 3/4 teaspoon salt and turmeric. Do it till the cheese is melted.
- Disperse the beef mixture in a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish. Top up with the broccoli and deliver the cheese sauce balanced over the top.
- Throw potatoes, egg, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the casserole evenly.
- Bake the casserole till bubbling and the potatoes are turning brown, it will take about 40 minutes. Sprinkle a little paprika. Serve after 10 minutes.
Prepare till Step 6 before you start the cooking process. Then cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let it stay at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking (Step 7).
For long-term refrigeration, wrap food in a layer of plastic then wrap with a single layer of foil. Plastic will help hinder freezer burn at the same time the foil will help contain the odor of food.
You can find precooked shredded potatoes in the dairy section of super shops. You can make it by yourself: halve 1 pound unpeeled potatoes. Then cook lightly in a salted boiling water for 7 to 10 minutes until it becomes tender. Let it cool and shred them
Each serving contains:
412 calories; 19 g fat; 4 g fiber; 26 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 81 mcg folate; 111 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 3145 IU vitamin A; 86 mg vitamin C; 405 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 736 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium
Bonus Nutrition: Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Calcium, Zinc, Potassium, Folate & Iron, Magnesium.
Looking for easy to cook cheap, healthy recipes for dinner? Try this Broccoli, Beef & Potato Hotdish. It’s cheap and healthy can be your often dinner recipes for dinner. Thank you for visiting us.