Soup is a liquid food, commonly served warm or hot and occasionally cold. It may contain meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water or other liquid. Here is a recipe of chilled avocado soup which consists of avocado, chicken broth, onion and fresh cilantro.
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- White Onion (diced) – 1 cup
- Serrano chile (stemmed, seeded, and diced) – 1
- Garlic cloves (minced) – 3
- Salt (for seasoning) – 1 tsp
- Firm ripe avocados (halved, pitted, peeled and mashed) – 4
- Chicken broth – 4 cups
- Fresh lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Fresh cilantro leaves (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – 1 tsp
- Mexican sour cream or creme fraiche (whisked to soften) – 1/2 cup
- Crostini or croutons (optional) – for serving
- Take 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium size pan and heat over medium heat. Mix the onion, garlic cloves and Serrano chile to the olive oil and cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Season the mixture by adding salt. Remove the pan from the heat and allow cooling and setting.
- Place the mashed avocados in a medium large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, chicken broth, cilantro, onion mixture and water to mashed avocados and combine. Place the mixture into a blender and make a puree until it becomes smooth, strain the puree into a large bowl. Add salt and black pepper and stir to mix.
- Then cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 3 hours or until well chilled.
- Pour this chilled avocado soup into serving bowls. Drizzle sour cream at the top of each serving.