Updated on May 13th, 2020
Vegetable burgers are like hamburgers or chicken burgers, but the patty does not contain meat. The patty of a vegetable burger usually made from vegetables, textured vegetable protein, beans, tofu, mushrooms, seeds and nuts. Here is a simple vegetable recipe, which is made of lentil, potato, yogurt and spices.
- Low-fat plain yogurt – 1/2 cup (130g)
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup (60ml)
- Tahini – 2 tbsp.
- Cold mashed potato – 1 cup
- Canned brown lentils (rinsed and drained) – 400g
- Mild Indian curry paste – 1 tbsp.
- Spring onions (thinly sliced) – 4
- Egg – 1
- Dry bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
- Whole-meal buns – 4
- Tomato – 4 slices
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Snow pea shoots – to garnish
- Place the low-fat plain yogurt, tahini and lemon juice in a small bowl to make the dressing. Stir them well to combine. Season it with freshly ground pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the mashed potato, spring onion, lentils, egg, curry paste and breadcrumbs and mix together using your hands. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Separate this lentil mixture into four patties. You can use additional bread crumbs to get the perfect shape of the patties.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Place the patties into the pan and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Place these patties into the whole-meal buns along with yoghurt dressing, tomato slices and snow pea shoots.
You can freeze these patties for long-term storage by wrapping with a plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminium foil. The plastic wrap will help to prevent freezer burn and the aluminium foil will help to keep odors from seeping into the patties.
Veggie Lentil Burger Recipe, Veggie Lentil Burger Recipe 2017