Vegetarian lentil cottage pie is composed of lentils, tomato, carrot and spices and topped with creamy mashed potato mixture. The dish is usually served as a main meal with a light salad or bread or fried rice.
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Celery (chopped) – 2 stalks
- Large carrot (chopped) – 1
- Garlic (crushed) – 2 cloves
- Sun-dried tomato pesto – 2 tbsp.
- Tomato passata (sieved) – 1 cup (250ml)
- Bay leaf – 1
- Thyme (chopped) – 1 tbsp.
- Massel vegetable liquid stock – 1 cup (250ml)
- Lentils (rinsed and drained) – 400g
- Potatoes (peeled and chopped) – 800g
- Unsalted butter – 100g
- Milk – 1/2 cup (125ml)
- Egg yolks – 2
- Cheddar cheese (grated) – 100g
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 1 – 2 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrot to the pan and cook for 1 more minute.
- Then add tomato pesto, thyme, passata, bay leaf and vegetable stock and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the vegetable mixture are cooked. Add lentils and stir.
- Transfer the lentil vegetable mixture to a 1.2 liter baking bowl.
- Subsequently, boil potatoes in salted water until they tender.
- Drain potatoes, peel and mash. Mix mashed potatoes with unsalted butter, milk, egg yolks and cheddar cheese.
- Spread this potato mixture over the lentil-vegetable mixture and roughen the top using a fork.
- Place it into the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.